Do something totally different on your Cleveland staycation and take an overnight trip to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark in Sandusky. It’s only about an hour away, which should leave you plenty of time to maximize your experience. This is great fun for the entire family. Right now you can save even more money on your stycation by purchasing through Groupon. You can save 50% off of the total cost of your stay which includes admission to the Maui Sands Indoor Waterpark for both days.
Now if you miss out on this deal there are still other ways to save. If you book online you will want to first check for promotional codes. You should see a link on the left hand side of the reservations page. Click that and enter the coupon in the discount box. Click update and you should see the discount appear in the reservation price. If you sign up for the email newsletter or follow them on Facebook you can sometimes get a special code to use for discounts on your stay and / or water park visit. There are also group discounts available for groups of 20 or more people. Advanced reservations are required here.
Sandusky is just barely an hour away. Now everyone is probably already familiar with the Cedar Point theme park that’s there. What you may be less familiar with is Camp Sandusky, which is also right there. Camp Sandusky is just 6 miles from Cedar Point. The camp offers RV sites, tent camping spots, and even Amish cabins. In addition to the accommodations there’s also other amenities list two different swimming pools, a bunny farm, and lots of other outdoor activities for the whole family to enjoy. On top of all of that, it’s really affordable so it is definitely a great option for a family staycation. Before you book your stay though, here are a few additional tips which might help you to save a little extra money on your stay there.
- Always check with the daily deal / coupon sites like Groupon first. You can often save as much as 50% off the total cost of your stay this way.
- If you make your reservations online through the Camp Sandusky website you can save up to 30% off your stay versus the walk up price (on select dates). The lowest rates are before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
- Take advantage of the all you can eat pancakes there. At last check it is just $4.50 per person for all you can eat.
- If you are in the military or are a veteran then be sure to mention this when making your reservations. They typically offer some sort of a discount for those in the military.
- If you can get together a group of 20 or more people you can actually get an additional discount for everyone’s stay plus discounts on breakfast at Camp Sandusky.
- Be sure to follow Camp Sandusky on Facebook. They will keep you informed of the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
Staycations are for those who want to plan fun vacation type activities but want to stay closer to home in order to save money. For a staycation, there’s nothing better than doing something for free. And the good news is that there are actually quite a few things to do in and around Cleveland that are free. What you will find here is a list of the top 12 that have been handpicked. Hopefully you can incorporate some or all of these free activities for your next Cleveland staycation.
- The first item on the list is technically not free but it is pretty close to free. Check out the Family Films at the Cleveland Cinemas. They offer $1 family films for select shows throughout the summer.
- Enjoy Cleveland Metroparks activities. Free activities there include hiking, biking, exploring, picnicking, swimming, and of course the Cleveland Metroparks Nature Center.
- Visit the Lakeshore Learning store in Beachwood on Saturdays between 11 am and 3 pm for free craft activities.
- Take a tour of the NASA Glenn Research Center. Tours are free and offered daily.
- Check out the calendar of events at the Cleveland Public Library or the Cuyahoga County Public Library. They offer a lot of free activities that the whole family can enjoy.
- Visit the Cleveland Police Museum and see collections going all the way back to the early 1900s. Admission is free.
- See a working farm at the Stearns Homestead. There is no charge for admission but you can pay to feed the animals.
- See the women of aviation history at the International Women’s Air & Space Museum. It’s open daily and admission is free.
- Catch a play at the Cleveland Shakespeare Festival. Performances go all summer long and admission is free.
- Join the Cleveland Indians High Achievers Program. Kids can turn in their good grades or summer reading lists and get free tickets to Cleveland Indians home games.
- The Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland is always a fun place to visit. The learning center there features over 30 interactive exhibits that are all free.
- Finally there is the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, which offers free admission on Mondays for the local residents of Cuyahoga County.
These are just some of the gathered highlights of free things to do in Cleveland. Of course there are actually a lot more activities to do in the Cleveland area that are free. If you have any suggestions then please be sure to share below!
The Visitor Value Pass is not just for visitors. It is also great for those planning a Cleveland staycation. With the Visitor Value Pass you can see more of Northeast Ohio for less. This is basically a coupon book that is free for everyone to use including locals. Some of the highlights for this year include $2 off admission to the Great Lakes Science Center, $2 off admission to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, 10% off the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum store, 10% off admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and more.
The coupons inside the Visitor Value Pass are typically good for a family of four. Some of them do have specific expiration dates so you will need to double check that before using. You can either pick up the Visitor Value Pass from the Rock Hall Preferred Hotels or you can actually print it out from Cleveland Visitor’s site HERE.
Take a trip back in time on your Cleveland staycation and check out the Aut-O-Rama Drive-In located in North Ridgeville. The twin drive in was built in 1965 and was the pioneer in the idea of offering movie goers an option in movie choices. Today the drive in movie theater is still a family run operation and a top attraction during the summer months. Purchase your vouchers ahead of time through Groupon and you can save 50% off your movie tickets. The deal is good for 2 or 4 movie tickets. Once you purchase you then have 180 days to redeem the voucher.
Here’s a fantastic deal for anyone planning a visit to the African Safari Wildlife Park next season. Save 73% on your admission to the park when you purchase now through Groupon. There is a limit of 6 that can be purchased per person. Purchase now and you then have until June 28th to redeem these vouchers. See HERE for further details and to purchase your Groupon vouchers.
The Cleveland Entertainment Book offers over $67,000 worth of coupons and discounts for area entertainment, attractions, etc. Included in this massive coupon book as a coupon for the Children’s Museum of Cleveland which gets you free admission with the purchase of another regular priced admission ticket. The book is good for the entire calendar year. You can go ahead and purchase the 2013 book and use the coupons from now until the end of next year. See HERE for further details and for purchasing.
Only 4 days left on this promotion for the newly opened Rusty Wallace Racing Experience at the Toledo Speedway. Take part in a 10-Lap Racing Experience or 3-Lap Ride-Along at Toledo Speedway. Normally this costs $99 but you can purchase from Groupon and save 51%, making the total cost of the experience just $50. See HERE for further details on the racing experience and to purchase the Groupon deal.
Come out to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo this October for 8 Nights of SPOOKtacular Fun. There’s creepy animal shows, dance parties, train rides, a hay maze, magic shows, musical entertainment, and much much more. It’s designed for lots of fun for the little ones. The Boo at the Zoo will be held October 18th-21st & 25th-28th from 6pm to 9pm. You can go ahead and purchase your tickets online. See HERE for more information and ticket purchasing.