The Latest Staycation Ideas
This year, if you want to experience something really chilling, check out The Fear Experience. It’s been rated as the top haunted house in Ohio by many of the top publications. Step inside the 90,000 square foot fear zone if you dare. Once inside you’ll navigate through an abandoned mental facility, take a stop at the Centralia County Fair & Circus, and then get lost in your worst nightmare. This event is only open each weekend (Friday-Sunday) from September 19th through November 1st. Hours are from 7 pm to midnight on Friday and Saturday and until 10 pm on Sundays. General admission tickets are just $22 each. Of course there are ways for you to save a little extra money on your admission.
Now you can purchase your tickets online through their website. This can save you time and money. If you do purchase your tickets online then be sure to check for promo codes. You should notice a promo code box right above the ticket selection options. Just enter your coupon in that box and click apply. You should then see the discount appear right below. You may also want to check out the daily deal / coupon sites like Livingsocial where you can sometimes save as much as 50% off select tickets packages for the Fear Experience. Also, there are group discounts offered for groups of 10 or more people. If you have a group visiting then just make your reservation by calling 216-245-3327 so that you can get the group discount rate.
Note, there are two other ticket options that are available besides the general admission tickets. There’s the Fast Pass ticket which gets you access to the Fast Pass line and access to all 4 haunted houses. Your wait time is significantly less (typically no longer than 30 minutes). Then there’s the Immediate Access which allows you to completely skip the line and be the next group to enter. You pay a little more but it is worth it on a busy night.
Do something totally different on your Cleveland staycation and take an overnight trip to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark in Sandusky. It’s only about an hour away, which should leave you plenty of time to maximize your experience. This is great fun for the entire family. Right now you can save even more money on your stycation by purchasing through Groupon. You can save 50% off of the total cost of your stay which includes admission to the Maui Sands Indoor Waterpark for both days.
Now if you miss out on this deal there are still other ways to save. If you book online you will want to first check for promotional codes. You should see a link on the left hand side of the reservations page. Click that and enter the coupon in the discount box. Click update and you should see the discount appear in the reservation price. If you sign up for the email newsletter or follow them on Facebook you can sometimes get a special code to use for discounts on your stay and / or water park visit. There are also group discounts available for groups of 20 or more people. Advanced reservations are required here.
Sandusky is just barely an hour away. Now everyone is probably already familiar with the Cedar Point theme park that’s there. What you may be less familiar with is Camp Sandusky, which is also right there. Camp Sandusky is just 6 miles from Cedar Point. The camp offers RV sites, tent camping spots, and even Amish cabins. In addition to the accommodations there’s also other amenities list two different swimming pools, a bunny farm, and lots of other outdoor activities for the whole family to enjoy. On top of all of that, it’s really affordable so it is definitely a great option for a family staycation. Before you book your stay though, here are a few additional tips which might help you to save a little extra money on your stay there.
- Always check with the daily deal / coupon sites like Groupon first. You can often save as much as 50% off the total cost of your stay this way.
- If you make your reservations online through the Camp Sandusky website you can save up to 30% off your stay versus the walk up price (on select dates). The lowest rates are before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
- Take advantage of the all you can eat pancakes there. At last check it is just $4.50 per person for all you can eat.
- If you are in the military or are a veteran then be sure to mention this when making your reservations. They typically offer some sort of a discount for those in the military.
- If you can get together a group of 20 or more people you can actually get an additional discount for everyone’s stay plus discounts on breakfast at Camp Sandusky.
- Be sure to follow Camp Sandusky on Facebook. They will keep you informed of the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.